Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lovin the midwest!

So, we had a very interesting experience last night that opened our eyes to some of the not so fun stuff of the Midwest. At about 10:15 last night, we heard a siren. Being from the Rockies, we expected that siren to get louder or softer as the fire truck or police car got closer or further away from our home. Oddly, it did not change in volume. In about 2 seconds I freaked, ran into Natalie's room and yelled for Clint (who was OUTSIDE looking at the storm) to grab Braden. Yes, it was a tornado siren. We ran down to the basement (at least we knew to do that), and checked the news. There was a huge storm system headed our way that had tornado potential. WHAT!? We just bought this house! Luckily, the storm weakened as it moved east. The funnel clouds never touched ground enough to cause tornado type damage. We were stuck in our basement for about an hour. Why do we keep living in places with crazy natural disasters? As if our 6+ earthquakes while in California were not enough, now we must experience the joys of tornadoes. We were lucky that the storm did not get as bad as they thought it might, and I am so glad that we have a basement. NOW I know why they do not have any big windows in their basements out here.

5 comments:

Arizona Nielsens said...

Exciting times!! You should move to Phoenix... the only thing we have here is heat. Glad you guys survived. We miss you!

Brekke said...

Ugh! I too know the joys of natural disaters. This week we had a tropical storm come right at us. It didn't do much but rain, but you still have to be prepared. At least it wasn't a hurricane this time.

JS said...

Tornados are nothing. Wait until you are driving down the street and you see a tornado coming at you. All you have to do it turn around and drive in the opposite direction.

Hey its happened to me, I know. :)

Earthquakes on the other hand. ... we just had a 5.8 and I about peed my pants.

The Poulson's said...

Wow, just think of all the natural disaster experience you will have! You will no what to do no matter where you live :)

Jake said...

I must be a bad parent. We didn't even wake up the kids, and I watched the weather in the basement while Melissa and the kids were upstairs in their respective beds.